Tuesday 23 April 2024

Gerento-Tourism - On Earth Day encountering 'back-to-the-elements' truth

Happy Earth Day!  April 22, 2024

अथातो भ्रमण  जिज्ञासा ! After exploring scenic tourism, development tourism, agri-tourism, edu-tourism, pilgrim tourism, it was now my turn to do a gerento-tourism.  With the short time, available I went around four districts and about 400 kilometres to meet with the elderly in my circle. 

Had a long day starting with my young IITian yoga tutor online. Then putting my privileged room in the provincial house back to order. I managed to reach Vimalayalam and spent some 'quality' time with 

Aetty. Sr Sophie, Dr Sr Alphonsa etc gathered around. Aetty was going about carrying a pack of medicines, and cribbing about no one to help her out with the application of the eye drops. Sophie examined and found that 3 of the small plastic dispensers were all empty and she had a new one along. Now she suspects. Perhaps, my endorsement makes it easier for her to let go! I unwrap the packed new ones, there are 2 of them. 

I agree to have a lime juice lest Aetty intervenes and creates a mess. She is under control today. Sr Alphonsa, the only doctor of the congregation is energetic, and tries to reason it out with Aetty.  Aetty is unhappy, as she has no (health) problems, but because of her sight & hearing impairment, she is not able to do what she wants.  I  point out to her the examples of people who have nothing, and the many things we have that we take for granted. I tell her about our former provincial Bp Gregory who has gone blind, and at 90, the congregation didn't feel like experimenting with a treatment costing around 30 lakhs, with no guarantee of eyesight restored, but he leads a cheerful life. And I challenge her to take up her daily cross for the

millions who are even much worse disposed. And she kind of swallows in and doesn't refute.  I also tell her about the status of Vellichayan and refers to his gradual loss of memory to register with her the blessedness she enjoys.  Apparently, she was put to ease...Don't know for how long! She is comforted to learn that Vivek and Annie are doing well. 

We have plenty of kisses and hugs. I should have said a prayer. We force a smile on her to take a pic. I insist her not to come down and she is ok with it.

Next time, if possible, I hope to find time to visit her and join the community celebration of the mass. 

I also meet Sr Eliamma, Sr Thressiamma who all gracefully greeted me and enquired after the rest of my brothers and sisters. 

My visit to Vellichayan was fine. Vellichayan was found to be healthy physically. When Aji asked if he knew Prashant achan, he agreed.  But when he asked about who this was,  he was unable to place.  That is not a very happy experience though.  I was happy to see Aji taking time out of his working schedule to be with his father - He has found a placement in Australia (what great possibilities) which helps him to travel easily and take off from the job, as and when required. 

This time, I had many such visits. At Muvattupuzha, I met Fr Gallus, 90+, almost confined to room, and bed, but still able to move about.  There was Fr Joachim, former energetic prior of Thevara & manager of the press - he appeared ok for his age, Fr Kuriakose, a silent but persevering missionary who used to trek the several miles to KAITHAPPARA Sunday after Sunday for several years - he is almost bedridden. Then there was Fr George Kalambukatt, who was of a younger lot, in early 70s, but suffering from memory loss. He spoke normally and gave the appearance of having recognized me. 

Thereafter, at Chethipuzha, Changanachery I found our former rector and general, Rev. Dr Mampra Thomas. He struggled to respond, but was finding it difficult to keep his eyes open.   I recall his glorious days as the powerful rector of Dharmaram college, due to his unexpected raids of our sections to instil discipline, we used to call him 'ripper'. I met the very powerful and musically inclined Fr Vempala, who made Christ, Trivandrum, a welcoming community, the tradition continues to this day.  There are very cheerful ancient presences like Fr Ludovicos (whom our friends used to call with the addition, mar Malpiduthabava) who appeared lean and strong past his 90s. Similarly, Fr Sebastian Pinel, who was keen and eager,  supported by his Walker.  I connected him with his batchmate, the great scholar Agastya (Thottakkara) of Kochi. I also met Frs Ignatius Prakuzhy, Joseph Puthenpura, John... of the twins.  Puthenpura was very vibrant, was active and appeared well on his way to normal life after his latest tryst with a heart attack. My former scripture professor Rev Dr Antony appeared very energetic for his age.  Many of them were casting votes in the election with the new provision for those elderly to cast votes at their own residence.    

At Karukutty, I felt blessed to have spoken with Fr Jose Koluthara my guru, a radically creative spirit. I tried to comfort him saying that his mantle of creativity has been taken over with great gusto by my confrere and his disciple, Rev Dr Varghese Panthalookkaran. He appeared much better than what the reports about him said. We spoke for about 8 minutes.  I was consoled to find him in a much better shape and spirit than I had expected, though he is in need of a wheelchair now. I had a longer chat with the bible scholar Fr Palatty, who appeared ok, though he is in need of assistance. The great liturgiologist Rev Dr Pathikulangara was there, almost confined to room and bed, still fully conscious and able to eat, read and speak.  He even manages to check his WhatsApp messages. 

At Thevara, I met the evergreen Fr Austin, who was and is and shall be at Thevara - student,  teacher, manager, senior citizen, college mentor. past 85 and an open heart sugery, he seemed to underscore the commitment to life. I told him that I was visiting older people all over, but didn't visit him, as he was still young. We had a hearty chat! 

But before all that, on the very day of my arrival,  I had started with Fr Alex, my professional mentor, who in his mid-eighties and after an angioplasty almost 20 years ago, and a stroke a few months ago, is still maintaining an office schedule - occupying himself as the finance director of the huge Rajagiri Hospital.  Others in the combat were Fr John Thekkekkara, who is able to move around, but is requiring assistance, Fr Pynadath another giant in the field of school education of our province, is now gone thinner, and hence able to manage himself better and his assistant also is able to help him better. He appeared fresher, leaner, more graceful, but unable to speak as he had undergone a tracheostomy some 3 years ago.   Fr Mathew Vattathara, with whom I had lived many years under the same roof, has to undergo dialysis thrice a week, and has to follow a very strict diet, not to let his potassium levels go up, and also keep his creatin level under check.  I also meet my former prior and provincial, and a giant predecessor at SH, Rev Dr Jose Kuriedath. He has thinned down, and is combating pancreatic cancer bravely.  Chemos - but still attending office at the director of Rajagiri Engg College. 

But on the last day, I was happy to meet Thankamani chechi, the mother of my good friends James and Sunny, our neighbour.  At 97, she must be the seniormost citizen of Perumanur. Still pleasant and cheerful, but suffering a hearing loss, though not total.  She was very happy to meet me. 

I try to stop over and see Paily Chettan, (the veteran congress worker who used be called 'swagatam paily' as he was invariably the one who would do the welcome address in all such public meetings) but could not. His  family plot appears like a miniature Walden without a pool, all the same a mini forest. I meet Achutti (I always thought he was James) and his wife Annie, they are past 80!! Can't imagine. They are now our next door neighbours, and chechi was saying, she enjoys looking through window at the greenery of our ancestral plot of land! She said that while she was looking at that plot in the morning she wondered where the achan might be now!! That is nice.  

Missed to have a picture with Ammini aunty (Nisha's mom) - that too was part of the gerento-tour.

OMG! Old age sets in. And we have to be ready for the limited editions of our lives!

Signs are evident: I forgot my bag at Manikath house, but before soon, I remembered and got it back from there; at SH I forgot my phone, the story repeated, and someone brought it for me to the monastery.  Painstakingly, I had gathered documents regarding my teaching career, and safely kept them in a folder, only to forget it at Kalamassery as I hurried back to the airport. (That was fun - riding to Kudackachira for the wedding of a former colleague's son, in our e-car, I found it nearly impossible to reach the airport.  Hence got a motorbike brought to me en route, shifted to it, and rode with the rider as the pillion and rushed to the airport, just to manage the check-in, in time!! Felt almost like Phileas Fogg.)

On the trip, at Kainakari, St Chavara's birthplace -  I am glad to catch up with my old friends ageing with me! They are doing fine!  I also meet with the new generation of the CMIs all energetic.  We all share the lunch together at Chavara's family property!  The tiny island hamlet is now connected by a bridge - I feel (perhaps, that is a tourist perspective), it would have been better the other way about! 

Already I feel impaired - my knees reveal deterioration of the bones, even the bones of the fingers do. Dukha Satya! Accept it, and do the good one can!!  And further, get ready to disintegrate into the elements from which we emerged! 

May the source of all goodness and strength empower us on that path!











1 comment:

  1. Wonderful expedition. And a great recounting. Hats off to you.

    ReplyDelete