Thursday 28 August 2014

WAR & PEACE - SH SoC

Aug. 26 Tuesday
From 3 pm to 6 pm or beyond the entire SoC staff and students (UG & PG) worked as a team to bring together their explorations on war and... peace! I felt very glad - almost reliving Social Work days, when I used to have such sessions with our students and faculty members.
The student presentations - especially with many of them being first year students of UG programme - were really exceptional.
It's a great learning experience - padam saha brahmacaryebhyah. Learning about oneself, learning with fellow learners, learning from them. This process of group learning should find proportionate space in every discipline. I believe students will relish it, and that will stick to them.
The theme was aptly chosen against the background of the Iraq and Gaza wars. A response of the academic community was a must; and I was feeling uncomfortable that no club, no forum was discussing these issues - then came up the SoC idea.
I believe it was Tennyson who said, 'Ring in a thousand years of peace, ring out a thousand years of war'
I had been of the view that wars are created in the hearts of individuals - the solution should start with peace education. Individuals - future decision makers - learning to live together
However, the crucial question that should be posed is : What is happening to me? What are my positions regarding war? What do I do about it?
Personally, now war has found a place in my daily prayers.
As one group has suggested - there is much of economics in war. From among the listed products that tend to help war(s), at least 'coke' could be avoided. Such products to be boycotted.
Suggestions:
The viewers' opinions/comments could be videographed and made into a document.
The student presentations could go into Digital Library.
A list of books on war could be created, and if not available, could be added to the library.  So too with movies.
Students could learn songs of peace - e.g., Make me a channel of your peace!
While the presentations were very comprehensive I felt impact on 'minorities' and 'environment' was missing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment