His name is familiar to me since early 1970s. My elder brother's school stories included Fr Gregory, Fr Aaron, Fr Silas, Fr Yesudas, Fr Pullopilly, John sir, Xavier Sir, Krishnan sir, Manjooran sir. I vividly recall him narrating the farewell for Fr Gregory as he went for higher studies in USA. Every student was given a memento - an cream-coloured eagle on a black pedestal. I think he completed his studies and returned to the school, and took charge as the Principal.
However, my first personal encounter with him was at the South Railway station. In those days, in spite of having very limited communication facilities, we used to get information regarding Bp Gratian's arrival and departure. He was to many of Thevara families a family friend, because of his work among the youth and involvement with KCSL. On completing SSLC, I had this urge to join the CMIs, and the first figure that came to my mind was Bp. Gratian. I came to know that he was boarding train to Delhi from Ernakulam South. And I reached there before time, taking a platform ticket. And I was surprised to see Fr Gregory accompanying him - to see him off. I didn't know that he was the provincial, and that Bijnor mission was under Rajagiri Province. When I revealed my intention, Bp Gratian responded with a question: 'Bijnorilekkalle"? (Aren't you opting for Bijnor?). Nothing of that sort had occurred to me - however, I responded without hesitation, 'yes'. Listening to this conversation, Fr Gregory responded: That is alright. However, you attend the camp that is going to be organised at Kalamassery.' It was to happen in a few days' time. We had a prolonged camp of about 15 days. I think he came and addressed us once during the camp. Then all those things happened almost mechanically. I joined the CMIs and stayed at Kalamassery, close to the provincial house, for almost a month. Perhaps, we were met by him again during that time. Then we left for Bijnor (study house at Meerut).
At Meerut, he visited us formally as part of the Canonical visit, and I was surprised (taken aback) to receive a correction from him, in the light of the feedback he had received from the community (fellow seminarians, perhaps, the seniors - we were about 30 young men in a small place, and I had felt at home with almost all). The correction was about the need to grow in humility, and the impression was that I was proud. I don't remember what measures I took be humble. In 1982, he visited us again. This time, as he came to Delhi, and received the confirmation that he was to be the bishop of Rajkot in the vacancy arising from the demise of Bp Jonas Thaliath. He spoke very freely, happily and frankly. To some query from my part, he responded that there were some efforts to take away the opportunity of Bishopric from the province, and then the province had applied some pressure; and that when it was offered 'he had accepted the same in all Christian humility'. These were his very words. Looking back, I feel surprised that at that stage of our formation we could be so free to ask such questions and that he could respond to it so candidly - though to this day, I have not inquired with anyone what could have been those sources of pressure.
During my major seminary days, I made a detour on my trip back to Bijnor, via Rajkot. As the Bishop, he was very welcoming, and even offered to send me to Bhuj by airplane as travelling by road would have taken almost half a day. Unfortunately, that particular day there was no flight from Rajkot to Bhuj.
I am surprised to recall that I heard about online marketing for the first time from him, during some casual conversation he was having with the seminarians. The platform was just beginning to take shape. However, he described how this happens and that shows his keenness to learn new things. On becoming the bishop, at the age of 50, he was able to learn Gujarati and I trust he was able to manage a conversation or public address in Gujarati.
I have never found him to be a very impressive or insightful public speaker or orator. However, he had some magical influence on people. Two major ventures of Kochi province in the social realm - Sahrudaya and KRIPA had their origin under his guidance and support I guess - definitely, the latter. When I had the opportunity to head the latter, I repeatedly heard laudatory references to his vision from those public figures who were roped into the KRIPA governing body at his initiative.
He seemed to have had great popularity among the members of our province to have been elected as the provincial at a very young age. The idea of planting rubber on the slopes of Rajagiri was perhaps his - the Kanjirappally streak running in him. At least I have heard him making such a claim, though in passing. I had also heard about his enthusiasm for gardening, especially for the roses.
However, his talent for initiating projects became much more evident during his long tenure as the Bishop of Rajkot. Christ Hospital, the culturally tuned Prem Mandir Cathedral, Christ College - the first NAAC accredited college of Gujarat, promotion of village ashrams, two journals - one missiological and the other, theological, with hardly having any such ecclesiastical training - I have observed all these emerging during his tenure. Perhaps, he was open to suggestions from others, or else, he was a treasure house of initiatives - that is the impression I have of him.
After his retirement, I was inspired and happy to see him living ashram life at the provincial house as a regular member of the CMIs and enjoying that life. Reaching his 90th birthday, it was indeed sad that he lost his sight, and I am given to understand there was no guarantee of sight, even if a very expensive procedure is done - just a chance; and that at that advanced age, it wasn't worth that risk. However, he appeared reconciled to the idea, and went about involving in all the activities of the house - taking part in prayers, enjoying company and relishing food.
In 2021, though his eyes were beginning to fail, I was happy to note that he could recognise me when I met him as we were bidding farewell to beloved Fr John Naduvathussery. I could meet him again in 2024 at a gathering of Rajkot mission in Rajkot, and had the privilege of his company during the meals.
I feel he has to his credit a life lived well and full. Though he was known to have formed his opinion regarding individuals which stuck with him - positive or negative; generally, I sense that he was a leader with very few enemies. These statements are tentative, they are just my impressions. I feel that he had knack to get things done without generating (much) animosity. And though the Rajagiri students and the seminarians didn't seem to take him very seriously, I sensed a kind of affection in all of them toward Bp Gregory (Gregory achan).
I am glad to remember that he was a student of Sacred Heart College, with two other bishops of almost the same age - perhaps of the same period - in the league - beloved Bp Gratian Mundadan of Bijnor and late Rev. Bp. Paul Chittilappally of Thamarassery. Regret that I could never had the privilege of inviting him to the campus while I was serving it.
May his beloved soul rest with the Lord! May his good works endure.
A few of us currently in the USA, came together online, and remembered Bp. Gregory. Fr Chalbhagam shares something humourous in circulation about Bp Gregory. As the Headmaster, he wanted the students to do well, and he found that one of them had a very poor handwriting. He made a comment on the student's note-book - 'the student needs to improve his handwriting'. The comment was seen by the parent, but he could not decipher the comment. Finally, he came to the school and met Fr Gregory, who read it out for him! (This might be a cooked up story by some of his beloved students).
ReplyDeleteVery nice reminiscenses Fr. Prasant, my dear brother. Thank you so much.
ReplyDeleteFr. Gregory was my English teacher in Class V in 1971-72. Once, in the class, on learning that I was staying near the Thevara fish market, he gave an oblique compliment that perhaps I had good brains since I must be eating a lot of fish.
I remember he used to wear brownish black cassock in those days. We children were generally afraid of him. He used to be called Giri achan, mostly by the hostellers in the school.
I had to give a speech, I think on behalf of the students, on the school annual day when I was in the 10th. He scripted the speech with some English words which I had never heard before and asked me to deliver it. I dutifully learnt it by heart and did so.
He was held in high regard by the school alumni. May his good soul rest in peace.