Friday 6 May 2022

DOHA II - NRI - to be or not to be?

 







Doha II

This was my second trip as a pravasi Malayalee/Indian – in fact, not yet qualified for that title.  It requires a stay outside India for work for more than 182 days, say almost 6 months.  Can’t be sure whether I will last to attain that status, and don’t know the desirability of having such a status.

From last trip in March, this was radically different. My status has changed from that of a visitor to a resident worker, conditions for which are very different.

1. You don't have the botheration of an online registration, through Ehteraz portal, if you have evidence of being fully vaccinated – second dose of vaccine taken not less than 9 months from the arrival time.

2. You don't have to have an RTPCR -ve certificate - though I did have a precautionary one.

3. You don't have the quarantine requirement – provided 14 days have passed since your last qualifying vaccine was taken

However, Ehteraz app showing your covid status as negative is said to have been a must. (This is a must to have access to any public place, you have to show this when you enter even your workplace, worship place, mall or restaurant.).  However, on arrival, hardly anyone verified the app.

I had tried to do online check-in, which required a few documents ready, which my helper was not able to obtain.  But she managed to register me for a wheel chair.  Though, walking as such has not been problematic past few days, long walk, as the one in Doha airport was considered risky. In Kochi, I avoided it. With the residential work permit in hand there was hardly any hassle at the check in counter or immigration gate. 

With my otherwise unused debit card, I had (free) access to the fabulous lounge – with food, and if required drinks also free. Since I found my uric acid level dipping to an ever low 4.7 (with intake of ‘loric’ for the past 4 weeks), I thought I could indulge a little – had a bottle of chilled beer (though I am not all that keen about it or its taste), with lots of cut-fruits to accompany it, and the typical continental style (bland) chicken with roasted potatoes.  I was rather full for the day.

Didn’t expect Indigo to provide any meals on the trip. Apparently, my agent had booked for meals on board it appears.  There were no great options – I was condemned with ‘upma’, but there was a choice for beverages.  I chose a mango juice, with tiny slices in it aplenty, that was good. The airhostess, after getting my consent, prepared the upma.  The content of ‘semolina’ in a silver sachet is emptied into a plastic container, then hot boiling water is poured onto it, up to a level already marked. It is to be kept for 5 minutes with the lid closed. And it is ready to eat.

Though, I had no great expectations, nor was great interest in me, but of not wasting food, I must say that was perhaps, the best upmav I have had in decades.  It was well balanced, sufficiently moist, yet not ‘wet’, giving the appearance of a well sauteed stuff, with some fried cashew nut bits and fried grams, with right amount of salt to make it a real ‘upmav’. And the juice, as it claimed, was a smoothie, with those tiny mango slices adding to the charm.

I was forced to take this (indigo) flight. That was the cheapest available flight for these days – I believe, around Rs. 30000.00 one way.  Booking on my own was found to be risky these times, with the possibility of any time delay, cancellation etc. on account of the COVID situation.  Hence, dependence on an agency, with whom there was always the limitation of our freedom of choice. IN spite of all that is being said about it, I am still a fan of Air India.  And I hope, with TATA taking over, it will become good and popular soon.

(My India trip was on a Srilankan flight, which was the cheapest and for that day, the fastest available, in spite of its stop over at Colombo, and the flight duration of 9 hours. The sheen of the flight and the airport was missing, perhaps on account of the deep economic crisis the country is facing.)

The flight took off exactly at 5.10 pm – as usual, I missed the initial take off phase, with a nice snooze, and then enjoyed the varying moods of the sky.  We were above the first layer of clouds, and for a good amount of time of the duration of the flight in thick clouds, which when we pass through, give the sense of thick mist.  Whenever we cleared through, we were much above the lower layer of cloud, not permitting the view of the sea or land below, with many mushroom like tufts of cloud all around. On the western horizon, there was a luminous cloud, and a couple of thick grey strips of clouds crossed it, resembling a large bird or groups of birds crossing over that. By around 6.30 pm, the bright and shiny horizon had turned orange, though I missed the sun disappearing.  It become bleak yellow, and then turned dark.  By then we were already over Doha, and the familiar skyline revealed in all splendour of the varying colours of light.  The city resplendent in lights of all hues was indeed charming. The flight reached almost 15 minutes ahead of the scheduled 7.10 pm.

As I showed my boarding pass with request for wheel chair assistance, the attendant was very alert.  When I tried to walk or stand up, he would prevent me.  He made me wait for about 10 mts on the passage.  A couple of Malayalee elders was brought there on wheel chair.  It was informed that the buggy to carry us will arrive. It was indeed a long walk… And the buggy took us to a spot where porters were waiting with wheel chairs.  One of them, an Indian from Mumbai, took charge of me, took me past the immigration counter on a priority basis (I was feeling a little odd to get those privileges), then to the baggage carousel no. 1, the exit was at carousel no. 7.  I managed the luggage without the assistance of a porter, which was hinted at by the wheel chair assistant. I got a trolley, dumped the bags on it, and then at the exit, our driver Joseph was there.

This was a new experience! Though, I kind of resigned to it, rather than relishing it. I realise the kind of blessings we take for granted. I used to take some amount of pride in the fact that I could walk or run, I could still play basket ball, I could hike and trek… I am afraid that boastful claim is almost coming to an end.. Now I would be thrilled for the assurance that I can manage to walk the distances to be covered usually, in the office, in the Church, in the monastery, in a bus station or airport… wherever it is.  It is so with all these faculties – of speaking, hearing, seeing, walking, eating, drinking…. Our confrere the once powerful Fr Pynadth had a tracheostomy and cannot speak (but he is now happy that he is alive, and can manage most other things), vibrant Fr. Vattathara requires assistance regularly – can’t eat or drink any usual food and needs dialysis twice a week, young son of my friend Shibu, after COVID, has not been able to walk around and cannot eat food as it would be vomited, he is fed directly into the stomach….I met the young boy day before yesterday, now gradually coming back to normal, except the ability to walk… So make the best of these when one can, and be grateful to God. 

I had twin purposes of coming to India, which would have not been possible without the resident permit. My sponsor did use some influence to get that done on a fast pace. The first one was to attend our plenary conference, held once in three years. It is a congregation level review meeting of our activities along with a planning for the next decade when we complete 200 years as a movement - read, spiritual movement (1831-2031).  It was held at Dharmaram College, Bangalore, for 5 days.  I was among the three member delegation of our province. Got my leg affected there as well, and was forced to take medicine to be able to move around. Return trip, got a ride in an innova, which brought Provincial delegation of Thrissur.  My own provincial also joined the trip.  And then, a car came from Kalamassery to Thrissur. In all, we completed the trip in just about 10 hours, including a stop over for dinner at our residence attached to Palana hospital, Palakkad.

The second was to follow up my papers for getting the government pension.  I had completed one year of retirement, and yet the papers were not through.  Can’t complain against anyone.  Got the help of one of my friends to push this further, and when I arrived on Saturday, some loose ends had to be tied. I personally visited the Treasury office, and in all humility,  reported the urgency, and my having to go back on 5th.  They were sympathetic.  At DD office, the final papers had to be countersigned.  I met the officers concerned, and they were all very cooperative, but I had to do that personal follow up to make the papers move. I also contacted our college office, and requested their assistance.  With these done, and next three days gone in Holidays, I managed to push the papers from DD office to reach the treasury.  Then approached the officer in charge, and after initial indifference, she warmed up, and found that the papers had just arrived by hand. Then found a signature was missing.  I offered to take it and get it signed by the Principal and brought the same back to her in about 40 minutes. They gave me a chair to sit, and in between clarified a few things, got the DoB of the nominee entered (I had to call up the Provincial and get his birth date).  They said that it would take time, and lest I irritate them, I said I would come the next day, but reminded them gently that I had a flight to catch in the afternoon.  It was afternoon, evening and the third day.

Next morning, I made our office staff to follow this up at the treasury, and around 11 am, he reported that the papers were ready. But I could not attend the call, as I learnt about the death of the daughter of Grety (our neighbour in Perumanoor), and visited her house, prayed, and tried to console Grety.  I hope all of you know her, and her mother.  When I noticed the call, I rushed from Provincial House to Treasury office.  They got my signature on 2 registers and also on the file.   The cheque book and pass book of the pensioner were handed over. It was all empty.  The lady asked whether I knew about the amount due, I had no much clue.  She told around Rs. 21 lakh would be in the account with arrears of the past year, and commuted amount of Rs. 13 lakhs. This is perhaps the largest one time payment I personally received ever.  Since we have not subscribed to the Provident Fund, we don't get that.  I consider this not a very wise decision.  It is better that we join the PF programme, hopefully the religious discipline regarding the fund management will be followed by the individuals, and a considerable amount for some useful application can be obtained by the congregation. Didn’t bother much about the calculations. Got it printed on the passbook. Reached back the provincial house. Wrote a cheque in favour of Thevara monastery and entrusted the same with Fr. Superior.  Finished packing and pushed off.

Whatever free time I got, I spent in meeting with people who were in one way or other involved with this Rajagiri School at Doha, to get to know from them what they had done, and what is to be done etc. The main thing I missed on the trip was the participation in the parish fest, to which the new parish priest, Fr. James had invited me, to deliver the message for the first day, and celebrate mass with Fr Joy Kannampuzha.  Here the offices start functioning on 7th onwards.  So I thought I would rather be there in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment