Thursday 12 May 2022

Pushpakumari Vasudevan

 



I was in for a surprise, way back in 2010, when Dr. Joseph John, senior professor in the department of Chemistry came to my office, accompanied by an elderly woman.  He introduced her to me as the widow of a former student Mr. Vasudevan, who retired as a Deputy Collector with the Government of Kerala, and who had passed away some time back.  She wanted to do something for the students of the college. 

She had learnt from her husband that how the senior fathers were really considerate and caring while he was a student at Sacred Heart College, way back in the 1950s.  Some days, he didn't have the provision for lunch.  One of the fathers took interest and ensured that he had lunch. This had touched him deeply. 

Perhaps, under his instruction or perhaps, taking a cue from his sharing, she was there to establish an endowment for the college students, to make a provision for noon meal, for 3 students who would have some difficulty in this regard. I was so glad about this initiative of 'giving back' which is very rare in our Malayalee or Indian culture. We discussed terms and conditions, made a draft Memoradum of Understanding, and Dr. Joseph John did all that was required to actually make that initiative a reality.  I think she brought her son and grandson as well in order to establish the endowment. They were settled in Bangalore.  

We listed N.P. Vasudevan memorial endowment in our handbook, with an amount of about Rs. 2.75 lakhs or so, for 3 students of the college for the provision of lunch.  Barring the direct contribution of Prof. K.V. Thomas, this was the highest contribution any individual alumnus had made to the college till I vacated the office in 2021. 

That triggered off a college policy that if there were any student who is not having a provision for lunch, s/he could approach the class teacher or Student Advisor and obtain a provision for the same. 

But the relationship that began then continued.  She visited college a couple of times, I used to personally invite her for annual function or some such grand functions. She insisted that I visit her at home, and I would stop over and say hello to her, while I passed by Padamugal.  I came to know the rest of the members of the family. Initially, she was staying with her daughter who had also lost her husband, but later on, she started living independently on the same compound, where she had a house for herself, even managing her meals on her own. She was so glad to see whenever, perhaps during Onam or Christmas, that I stopped over. And would instruct that I take care of my health. 

Then came COVID, I came to know that she was shifted to a care home - Signature care home, an establishment run in a professional manner by Mr. Alex, a sociopreneur, who was also very well known to me.  COVID restrictions prevented me from meeting her.  Once the restrictions were lifted, I requested Alex, and he said I could come after informing him.  But I got busy with my retirement and the subsequent all India ride, and didn't have time to do this, especially since it required prior appointment.  On my return, I found time to visit her. She was a frail resemblance of her even otherwise frail frame! And though she was still the tough bureucrat as far as her speech was concerned, she was unable to recall me.  Memory was lost.  She required assistance.  But care home was a blessing. There were others of her age, there was trained staff to take care - of medicines and food.  The trend is catching up - communes or villages for retired life, with all facilities for fellowship, recreation, medical help, and where required medical care and assistance, and arrangements for food. It is a new entrepreneurship run on a business model, but it is also a response to a rising need.  The reality of the inability of giving care at home, with children being away, no body being around, is promoting several such ventures, catering to various classes of people. 

Aunt Pushpakumari was already impressed about the services of Signature Homes, as her own son-in-law who was bed ridden after a stroke, was taken care of by them.  And I recall how she was appreciative of the care.  Perhaps, she had already made up her mind to choose such a care or perhaps her children might have taken a cue from their earlier experience with the home. 

But I was disappointed - when there is no power to recall and connect, in what way are we brining cheer to people by our visit? I felt sorry that she could not recall me.  However, I was not in Kochi after that week, being away in Doha. But Alex was alert enough to remember and when she breathed her last yesterday, he intimated me. And by the time we connected her daughter Rema, a school teacher,  had already taken her away, and most likely the last rites were performed without great delay.  So college also could not connect with her. 

But I recall the firm, determined, and yet caring lady, who thought of continuing the chain of goodness her husband received through the establishment of the endowment.  I hope the students who benefit will in turn keep the chain growing and connected. 

She lived long 89 years.  She seemed to have been at peace with herself and her situations. Barring the last two years, I think, she lived consciously, making her free decisions, and facing the realities of life in a matter-of-fact manner. May her beloved soul rest in bliss eternal - paramanandam!  May her family enjoy the fruits of her goodness in their life, and continue to spread goodness around them. 

4 comments: