Sunday 1 January 2023

Some foody greetings on the New Year

Dear Vellyechi, Kunjechi, Lischechi, Rajettan, Saju, Merry, Anu, Paul, 

Greetings of the new year from Qatar! This year, is the UN year of millets! I have come across and become a little familiar with these small grains (cheru dhanyangal) thanks to my association with Organic Kerala, and especially with Abbas. We have had hardly any familiarity with them I must say.  In our Dharamaram days, we used to have a raagi puttu once in a while.  It looked healthy. Now millets are said to be cheaper, healthier for humans.  And also healthier for planet with less requirement of water and manure.  But I wonder if this is possible now.  Anyhow, my hotel manager has graciously obliged me by buying raagi  and QuinoaI have to check how comparatively expensive it is, and how delectable for me as a foodie. But I recommend: add more millets to your diet - for your health, for the planets health.  And if possible, try growing some. 

I am hardly in the habit of carrying along food items for future - even for a day, it is very very rare with me. But this time, as an NRI, I have carried two plus 1 items on my return from God's own country to this desert paradise - the football city 2022. 

Dried Shrimps - Lischechi had given as an unexpected Christmas gift.  I usually try to avoid gifts - I don't require them.  But when I saw fried dried shirmps compactly in a nice plastic bottle, I felt ok. Light too.  And it has lasted me now for more than a week.  With fear of purine accumulation and resultant gouty rheumatics, I was hesitant.  But, thankfully, so far it has not been precipitated. Perhaps luck, perhaps cure, perhaps, 40 MG febuget daily dose doing the work.  I add them to my upma, to my boiled vegetables and at times a spoonful as a snack.  Thank you Lischechi. But the shrimp could have been bigger, with the head (i.e., stomach), portion totally gone and a little more salty.  That is,  suggestions for improvement - if it be still pleasing to think of such Christmas or other gifts in future. Usually, being in the community, such gifts, if any, would not last more than a single meal. But for once, my lone 'community' life is seen to be more sustainable!!😀

The other was a forgotten offer - at Thycattussery, being there with the chechis, the ellunda, was casually presented, and felt it was really class. On commending on it, Marichechi offered to make more for me. I said okay, though never taking it seriously. Then on 23rd there comes a call from Marichechi that ellunda is ready, and I should come and collect them.  It was already bit too late, and I had packed agenda for the next day.  Then, in my conversation with Sajeev, he volunteered to go at night and collect it.  He managed to do that, and next day, 24th, in a very packed schedule, finally after addressing the NSS campers at Vengoor, Sajeev hands over the pack to me.  Almost a kilo of til ka laddu.  Fabulously made, with the seasame seeds crushed, and made more chewy, yet not losing the black appearance, with some dried ginger subtly and suffusedly added wihtout making it obvious, and sweet to my liking! I managed to get all these stuff into a lulu carry bag (I had been carrying along wtih me in the past few months), and took them along in the cabin luggage.  Inspecting on arrival 40% or more of them had sustained total or partial injuries.  I sorted them out. Kept the shapely ones in an empty nes-bottle. Imagine, I could give one laddu each to all the academic leaders of the school, and to the IT department, and could enjoy a spoonful, or half or at times a full one, and it is still lasting!! A fabulous treat.  A healthy snack!! To be promoted. Kudos to Marichechi. 

I had the good fortune of giving Christmas message to the Kristu Jayanti School children - more because its director, Rev. Varghese Puthussery is a good friend of mine, rather than my being a great speaker.  But I spoke rather well, to my satisfaction - not always so.  And Puthussery was insisting that I carry their Christmas cake.  I refused but he insisted. And finally, that too got carried into my (lulu) food  pack, which had now become rather big.  Now, on the New year day, with my 'new community' of hotel staff, I cut that cake - rich plum cake, and shared the new year joy with them.  I felt it was good. Sent a note to Puthussery thanking him for insisting that I carry this. 

Finally, as usual, Joseph John, my former colleague, when he arrived at our get together on 21st, was not without his usual pack of kappalandi mitthai (groundnut sweet - chikki), an all time favourite of mine, but again, something, which I usually would not carry around or store.   But this time, I took that pack also along, and it has survived now for over a week. 

In the staff orientation session, we had discussion on plastic reduction and alternatives or substitutes for the typical plastic usages.  I went hunting, and our neighbouring grand mall could not offer any sweet which was wrapper less. Ajitkumar, accompanied me, and we went another 6 kilometers and reached lulu, the one stop solution for all Malayalee (Indian) needs (?), and lo, I had four options of wrapper-less sweets - hardboiled and chocolate.  I had carried my Kristu Jayanti cake tin-box, to get the sweets carried.  But lulu employees have strict instruction.  They wouldn't give the sweets, but in a fresh plastic bag, which they seal after weighing. But I insisted successfully to avoid the carry bag, and carrid the two half kg packs in my hand.  And narrated the trouble I took to show the possibility of finding one such alternative - every day, there is a child celebrating birthday, and s/he brings toffees which are wrapped separately, and add to the plastic waste generated. I would suggest til ka laddu, mungfalli chikki, drief fruits, or wrapperless sweets as alternatives. I wonder whether this could be attractive to children or parents or even, teachers. 

My sweet thoughts on the first day of the first week of the first month of the new year!! And it is the Lord's day! Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment