Monday 23 September 2024

Fr Zacharias Moorkattel CMI

Sep. 22, 2024 We got along well - in spite of the difference in age, outlook, temperament etc.  Our close relationship lasted just about 3 months, but the goodwill and warmth that emerged from that short period lasted till now. When I visited Keralam for about 7 days last month, I made it a point to visit him, greet him - he strained his eyes to meet mine, but showed no great sign of recognition, no smile. I learnt to my great consolation that he was shifted to his room from the ICU, only to be alerted yesterday, that he slept in the Lord at the age of 88.  He originally hailed from Kaduthurthy parish of Pala diocese.

We were first introduced to Fr Zacharias, if I recall correctly, either in his presence or otherwise, by the late Fr Mathew Kaiparampil, our rector at St. Joseph's Study House, Meerut.  It was with that narration of his close encounter with bullet fire in the village of Nayagaon, Nawada, Bijnor Dt., UP.  I think it was during his tenure there that the new experiment with Hindi Medium school started in Bijnor diocese, and the school grew to be a success story for positive social influence in the society. 

He was a distant figure, one of the pioneering missionaries of Bijnor diocese, lived a frugal and austere life - perhaps, austere with oneself and with others that on some occasion, one of our confreres remarked, I had the opportunity to live under Fr Zacharias and to live with Fr Tom Jos. I had occasional encounters with him while I was at the ashram in Rajarampur undergoing graduate studies.  At that time, he was the priest in-charge of Chandpur mission station. One day, perhaps impressed by my cycling skills, he asked if I could purchase two bicycles and get them to Chandpur.  I agreed.  Got two bicycles (I forgot the brand, most likely, Hero) and got the permission from Fr Superior to take them to Chandpur. No one bothered to ask, how I would buy two bicycles and take them to Chandpur - almost 60 kilometres away. I purchased the bicycles, then took them both, riding one, while holding another with the right hand. It was a narrow road, and when buses and big vehicles passed by, it was not easy to stick to the tarmac patch. And holding the bicycle in one hand and riding the other bike for a long distance was not easy.  However, with a great show of perseverance, I did that for 35 odd kilometres, till Bijnor. Took a short break at Tera Nur, Bijnor, and with the help of the seminarians staying there got both bicycles on the bus top to Chandpur - around another 25 to 30 kms.  And Fr. Zacharias received me warmly and was happy for having complied with his request. 

My prolonged encounter with him was in 1989. After completing the second year of graduation, with much wavering regarding this way of life, I confided in my then-superior about my state of mind, and requested permission to leave the order after some consultations with trusted elders like Fr Jose Koluthara and Fr Mathias Mundadan. However, with the consent of his council, he had already torn my page off the book of CMI life - perhaps, there were some faults in me, which were never revealed to me in any manner. So when after the said consultations, both of them, and several others persuaded me to persevere and make an effort again, I conceded, and the Provincial, Fr Bassus was receptive to the decision - but was in for a shock for the high voltage negative response from the Superior of Bijnor region when he was briefed about my 'turn-around'.  He insisted that in that case he (me) is to be given a 'compulsory regency' and good old Fr Bassus related the same to me with great trepidation - but I was least bothered, and I said that is fine. And got ready for the compulsory regency in Bijnor.  Landed there one fine day, again to his great disillusionment - and he treated me like an untouchable, with saying as much, and in a couple of days, packed me off to Kalagarh, almost like military orders - with no other word than till further notice - also indicating that I was not wanted there, and would have to go back to the province in Kochi. I received it with no questions asked, no eyebrow raised and feeling rather at ease and peace.  I thought, if I quit, better that I quit without completing college studies and then seek opportunities elsewhere - like civil service to top with. This very big interlude was to connect to the beloved Fr Zacharias. 

I guess, my being sent to Kalagarh mission station under Fr Zacharias was meant to be a penitentiary or reformatory. Being already rather insightful of Fr Zacharias' nature from the 'air', I think I was never my energetic self, but a subdued person, however, with no pretences I trust. I took a cue from him as to what was to be done - whether prayer, farm or parish work, and had no occasion to see him ill at ease on account of me.  There were 2 younger seminarians for the diocese of Bijnor - Jose and Joseph - who were attending the higher secondary school at Bhikkawala - Kalagarh. It appeared to me that he was a little more strict towards them.  

In the two-odd months of my stay under his supervision, I feel we got along well. I co-laboured with him in fetching litchi plants from Najibabad and planting them.  I was active with pastoral work in the parish church and in the villages 10 and 14 kilometers away. I also vaguely remember having donated blood for some cause there. 

Our food used to be very frugal and simple - usually roti or rice, with some daals.  Perhaps, we had a chicken curry once during my stay there. Some mornings, when the hens would have laid sufficient number of eggs for all four of us to get one each, there would be a rare, precious egg - and I remember him instructing us that the boiled egg could be mixed with the bengal gram curry or with upma to add taste to it. I tried that and liked it. But having an egg in a week was itself a treat. As per the prevailing culture and standards of priestly living in those days, we hardly had any meat or fish, and I never felt deprived because they were not there. 

After my days of 'house arrest' were over, I think Fr Superior sent him a message that I could be sent back, as my ticket to be packed off to Kochi was ready. With my days being counted, Fr Zacharias asked me what gift I desired - he suggested a shirt or pants or anything else of my choice - I had hardly any such desire or needs, and I politely but firmly refused.  He again insisted on my having something, and then, I seized the opportunity and said to him: if you are so insistent, please teach me to ride your scooter. Now this was indeed something I had desired.  Though there were several two-wheelers at the ashram, I was never asked to learn to ride one, or get equipped thus and obtain a license. I had several occasions when I had to ride the bicycle to drop off some guest priests as pillion riders at the bus stand more than kilometre away. Like King Herod who could not go back on his word, Fr Zacharias, now could not go back on his promise - next two or three days, he took me to the public grounds in Kalagarh, and gave some tips to ride his light blue bajaj scooter (perhaps 4-gear).  It was more about managing the gears than the balancing part.  By the end of the third day, with sessions lasting about half an hour each, I managed to get initiated into riding a two-wheeler. In those days, kickstarting a scooter was also a skill - as they usually didn't start off easily. Later on, in the next 8 or 10 months, on the basis of that initiation, I managed to get a licence proper, without having to undergo a driving school training or any bribe to anyone. 

Next year, as I served as a regent at the Bishop's house, and having had access to a new two-wheeler, Fr Zacharias shared his insight into saving fuel - by negotiating the curves (which were many) of the road by sticking to a straight line, rather than going by the curves!! He said that from Najibabad to Kotdwar you could thus save almost 2 kilometres of the 28 kilometre distance. 

Our later meetings - casual and short, were always marked with warm and sincere mutual affection and goodwill. I am sorry to have had no occasion to sit with him and listen to him at length before his departure.  In the prolonged illness and hospitalisation, I think he has suffered a great deal - may his sufferings be found as his sacrifice for world green peace, and harmony among peoples. Fr Zacharias comes out as a man of few words, ready to do God's bidding as revealed through the superiors, who lived his call to discipleship artlessly, with rectitude and in a very minimalist manner.  Beloved Father, May you be in eternal bliss! 

No comments:

Post a Comment